Sunday, January 17, 2016

Film Festivals, behind the scenes. (Interview with George Aaron Climer)

George Aaron Climer
Hey, guys! Do you know what I haven't done in a while? An interview! With two of my films being showcased this year at the My Bloody Violent-Tine Film Festival in Denver, I thought it'd be interesting to flip the tables and interview George Aaron Climer, the man behind this gruesome and fun event.

What got you interested in filmmaking?
Actually it was more of a realization then anything... I had realized the thing I wanted to do was inspire people the way that I had been inspired and the medium happened to be film and j happened to be good at it. Otherwise I would've probably ended up in a science degree. Paleontology to be precise.

What are some of the roadblocks you faced on the festival circuit?
Well the first is always finding the films and knowing what's good enough for an audience or not.... And having to let filmmakers down by not hitting them back up... Beyond that same answer you always hear is "money!!!"

Why did you start your own festival?
Professionally wise I usually say - for my love of film and Colorado talent... I wanted to create a space for the often overlooked horror films of our day coming from Denver... Along with recognizing large assets and showing Denver film maker we have a family and a place. Personally, I know everyone in the industry in town for the most part or at least can pick out who n what I like and want to work with these last five years have been a networking arena for me.

So, "networking." Does it pay off in your opinion?
Becouse of it I've met some of the most awesome people, including the organizers most of Mile High Horror Film Festival. Hell they were asking me for help back in the day! I got to meet not only people in our industry but becouse it's an event you meet people in real marketing situations and can learn more about what is what.

What are some things you discovered about film festivals as an organizer?
Well my film festivals a bit different then most and with that I'd be more of an event coordinator or director.... But what I truly discovered about film festivals is how it truly impacts the amount of work you do and see on screen of your own making....truly impacting the filmmakers network and I guess presence in the community.... With that it infects/impacts yours you pick up there friends relationship etc and begin to create your own.

What makes your selection process different from others?
Well it's extremely open compared to some fests .... We look at not only the scary forms or horror but the funny and just plain weird.... Along with this we pride our selves in finding feature or guest films from past and new found film makers that aren't horror and guest spot them in the fest to create more momentum for their films our fest and as a plus it gives an option to non horror goers and filmmakers that just don't select the genre ... The selection judges are me or my business partner and usually at least one or two outsiders.


What are some challenges you've phased this year as opposed to the previous ones?
Immmm... Jesus... Well this year I've faced a llot I'm leaving town, so I've had to get someone to take over. I've had to move the festival to a new location because we out grew our location this year.

So where are you moving to? Are you planning to start a film festival there as well?
San Diego for six months for now who knows what happens from there I'll miss things and well idk sad I didn't get to really start others. I may or may not start a festival there, depends on how certain things pan out.


So, why the name "My Bloody Violent-Tine?" And why did you choose the horror genre?
The name kinda just happened between me and a fellow event maker that worked on the very first festival. Why horror? Well I'm kinda known for being obsessed with the horror genre, so why not?

What are you looking forward to the most in this year's festival?
The after-party, of course!

Any advice you'd give to other people who want to organize their own festival?
If you're in it for money, then you're doing it wrong.

Thank you so much for your time and candor, George. And "last words?"
It takes a lot of hard work dedication and politics to become a success, but it's the experience that is well worth it and career enlightening.


My Bloody Violent-Tine Film Festival
will run at the Bug Theatre on Sunday
February 14th, 2016.
Bug Theatre is located at: 3654 Navajo St, Denver, CO 80211
Tickets are $5 at the door, $7 for couples.

No comments:

Post a Comment