Sunday, November 1, 2015

Seeking an expert for the end of the world... And a business plan appraisal.

I'd like to digress from my usual entertainment industry rants and discuss something dryer, yet more important. So please entertain me for this one blog post.

As some of you might have read on my Tumblr page, I am in the process of finishing my master's degree with Full Sail University and am currently focusing on completing a business plan for my production company, Thanatos Films. I decided to look over several industry experts and see what their views on the value of a business plan are.
Kevin Gieger

First, I'd like to begin with Kevin Gieger. Kevin is an industry veteran that is responsible for many visual effects in Hollywood films, as well computer animation with a lot of Disney films. Although his IMDb profile is rather slim, he is still actively working behind the scenes. Kevin now runs his own digital animation production company called "Magic Dumpling" and lectures aspiring entrepreneurs who would like to begin their own businesses and encourages them to proceed according to their development activity plan and to deviate from it. My favorite point that Kevin made is that during a pitch, one must always have a good business plan to go hand in hand with a creative plan, which is crucial when pitching a film or a television show to a potential investor.

Chuck Blakeman
The second expert I'd like to look over is Chuck Blakeman, mostly because he is so radically different from all the other experts I read about. I could find a whole lot about his past, but from what I did find, I saw that Chuck Blakeman is successful entrepreneur and business mentor. His view on business plans is very unique in that he believes that a business plan is a waste of time since it's something we use to plan for the future, yet we cannot predict the future. Chuck feels that a business plan is something that needs to be implemented in broad strokes and perfected as it goes.

What I gathered from these two radically different industry experts is that there is really no wrong advice to when starting a business plan, as long as you know what you are doing. I do agree I must have a financial vision for my idea, just like Kevin Gieger suggested, but I must not also let my business plan bog me down and not allow me to find other creative ways to succeed with my endeavor, just like Chuck Blakeman suggests.

~Evgueni Mlodik.

No comments:

Post a Comment